>

Wednesday 11 March 2015

The Dremel Trial

Hi !

I finally received my Dremel around 2 days back. I was very very excited to try it out. I had tried using a manicure drill previously for buffing the jewelry pieces , however the RPM was too low and I didn't get any particular result from it.

While I was very excited about the Dremel , I was also quite worried about it. I have never ever worked with power tools , and it frankly scared me quite a lot.

The only thing I learnt because of the manicure drill episode was not to use the felt buffing wheel provided. While I think the buffing wheel can be used ( very carefully ) to perhaps even out the texture , it does not help in any way with the polishing.

I read this article on Desired Creations , about how to rig your own Dremel wheel for polymer clay
and I have followed the tutorial for unstitched rig.This site has lots of other interesting topics too.

 So , I did make my own rig by cutting up a very fine and soft cotton dupatta , ( A shawl worn with a churidar) which has been lying around since I snagged it on a nail, a few years ago. The next question was what would be the right RPM. I tried 5000 ( the minimum) , then 10000  ( not enough ) , then 15000. I was comfortable with 15000, however I tried to check with 20,000 , and the pieces just kept getting flung around. I believe 15,000 is my optimal RPM.

Lots of trial left , anyway first pics of my trial.The top picture is before the dremel buff , the second after. They have been sanded from 320grit to 1000 grit.


This pic was shot on different days , one cloudy and the other quite sunny. The banded ones are shinier than in the pic.

Thanks for reading :)
Have a good day !

No comments:

Post a Comment