>

Saturday 11 July 2015

#2015PCChallenge : Week 27 : Jhimki trials

Hi!

This week I have tried to make some jhimki's. These are dome shaped earrings , usually made with silver or gold. This style is one of  thetraditional style earrings that can be found through out India.
They have recently had a resurgence in popularity ,however the materials are now paper , terracotta & clay.

I have been making jhimkis with cane designs for a while , but I could not try an textured styles.
Recently , a friend ordered some  texture sheets for herself from cooltools , and very kindly offered me the chance to buy some for me as well. So now I have a few sheets to play with !
I right away tried making some Jhimkis.
Textured jhimkis were fairly easy to make , one color sutton slice technique based ones were tougher but doable , the multicolored sutton slice based one was quite tough & time consuming.

So here goes :
Primary pieces : Textured jhimkis with wire work .



I am a rookie in the matters of wire work also , so I am not a 100% happy with the purple jhimkis , and would not be putting these style earrings for sale just yet. 
I am quite happy with the blue pair , I initially put them up for sale , but i have withdrawn them since.I happen to have a perfectly matched saree for this , and I was also hunting for the perfect earrings. So a bit of self indulgence in this case.

Secondary pieces : Sutton slice technique 



The jhimki pair on the bottom was single colored sutton slice experiment. It went off without a hitch. I am quite happy. 
The jhimki pair on top was a monster to make , and even then I am not perfectly happy with it. I was done with most of it , but completed it just a few days back.Thankfully the better version of this is off to an owner , and this is an experimental piece. I wasted so much clay , just trying to get all four colors in.I spent days get it just right. Finally when everything was in place , the hole for the eye pin would be off by a millimeter or so . I was a frustrated mess.  This is by far the toughest earring I have had to make.

Sorry about the delayed post , I was unable to upload the photos on time due to our rather slow internet connection.
Thanks for reading.Comments are always welcome !
Have a great day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment